Saturday, September 24, 2011

DAY 3 - First consumer immersion with Africa consumers

It was hilarious when they told me that there was a field visit to see Ariel's trial activities with lower socio-economic class African women. Perfect! I was going for my first consumer visit!!! yyaaaayyyy :)


However; nobody told me that the trial activity was simply a street demonstration of Ariel performance in one of the muddy streets and it could have rained as this is the rainy season. I was all posh on my hills with my designer jeans and bag. It was fine for everyone while we were going there and we chatted about consumers' choice, Ariel's problems in the market, etc etc. Then the car dropped us in one of the main streets and I thought the market we are heading to was close. 
There are two big optimisms here:
1. there was no market like the way we know market. it was just a kiosk at the side of a small street like you see below


2. the activity was an open-air one, not inside a market or a consumer home!!!!
OKKK, good to know and I can deal with this :))) at least I tried, sooo harddd




We turned into this street and as you see, the beginning was ok. I could have found some ground to walk on even with my high heels. :) However, after a while we kept walking on the inner parts of the street where the roads were even worse to walk and finally as a gift, it started raining. At the beginning everybody in the team was asking me whether I was OK but later they started giving advices like "next time you should wear sneakers or something flat so that you can walk" after watching me jumping above the holes on the street. :) there was no video or pic available with me jumping but I am sure you can imagine the picture :))))
I am sure everybody laughed at me but I left a signature with my way to understand consumers' lives. :))))
LEARNINGS #3: Don't assume anything, just consult from people! especially in Nigeria as you can come up with something extraordinarily unexpected!
NEXT STEP #1: Buy a pair of plastic rain boots AASSSAAPPPP :))


No comments:

Post a Comment