Saturday, October 1, 2011

DAY 11 - About to get shot while looking for the barbecue party!!!

I am a member of this expat community called internations.org and actually I find the site very useful to get to know around especially in a new place like this. A few days back, I saw an invitation for a barbecue party at the US Consulate on Friday evening. When I told this to my friends at the guest house, we all agreed to go there although we did not know anyone. But what could have happened? It was at the US Consulate (probably the safest place in Lagos) and we had an American citizen with us. Worst case, we could go there and enjoy the barbecue without paying attention to anyone. :))

Friday was a very busy day for me as I left the office very late and after that I went for house-hunting to see another house. When I got home, it was around 8pm and I totally forgot the party. Anyway, Brenda and Ike were ready waiting for me and Brenda said she already got the address of the consulate so that we could leave immediately to catch the party.

According to the address, the Consulate was in Victoria Island (15 minute drive away from Ikoyi) just by the ocean. It was perfect and we were pretty hungry. We arrived at the very first gate. There was security and when we told them we were looking for the party at the Consulate, they just told us to go straight and ask the security at the second gate. We were driving to find the second gate and then saw an entrance armored and protected by armed soldiers. We thought it was the right place from the extreme security we usually see US buildings but it did not seem that there was a party around. 

With all his goodwill, my driver (Kingsley) slowed down and stopped to ask whether the armed guy knew where the barbecue party was. Suddenlt, the guy started shouting "GOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOGOOGOGOGOOGOOOOOOOOOO". Lastly I yelled at Kingsley let's goooooooo!!!! The guy was seriously planning to shoot us and my poor driver was trying to find the party place! I and Brenda were shocked but Kingsley was upset more about the rudeness of the security! This is Nigeria and this is Nigerian of thinking as they say :)))

Luckily, Brenda had a back-up option which she found-out on nigerianlife.com and there was a live band playing in the garden of a conference center. Although the food was really poor, the band and the spontaneous singers of the band made our night! :)


A little taste of the music! just listen :)



When I got back home, I saw an email from the party owner saying that the party was at the US Consulate Recreational Center in Ikoyi!! Of course, I did not disclose this small detail to my friends :)) but it was another fun night in Lagos!

No comments:

Post a Comment