Thursday, October 20, 2011

DAY 16 - Welcome to coal city - ENUGU

Ready for my third consumer immersion. This time I was more excited actually as the plan was to go to Enugu State and learn about the feminine care experience & brand preference of the consumers. To be honest, I did not have much information about Enugu and all I knew was it was on the east part of Nigeria. When somebody says "east", I am a bit worried as I was always told that Lagos was the safest part and all the trouble was in the "east". So were we going to the trouble now with all our freewill?? :))


If you'd really like to experience the meaning of "hectic", then best place to go is Lagos Domestic Airport. It was basically the airport with cues: one cue for check-in, the other for boarding pass control, another for security control and finally the last was for to get the bus to the plane. It was crazy and what is more crazy is that you cannot check-in online so you have to go through all these cues one by one. :)
At the same I was getting worried that we'd miss the flight, my teammates relieved me saying that we could jump from the cue to the front line if our flight gets closer - like 2 minute close!! :))) 
With all these cues, we made it and safely seated at our plane. 


Enugu is very different than Lagos. It is an Igbo state where one of the largest tribe in Nigeria resides. It is more like suburban town with houses (rather than apartments) in big gardens. The biggest difference was of course the traffic as it took us only 15 minutes to get to our city-center hotel from the airport. 
On the way from the airport, the team decided to withdraw money from one of the ATMs on the sides of the road. But don't imagine that it is an ATM machine standing on its own, rather it is an ATM machine protected by high steel doors. The driver honked and the security guys opened the door for us. While the others were withdrawing money, I stayed in the car surfing through the emails. I did not know this was a mistake as I was kicked out of the car by the driver saying that I needed to stay outside the car while we were waiting. WEIRD RULE #1 Then I called my boy friend to chat while waiting. WEIRD RULE #2 You can't talk on the phone as your phone can be the activator of an explosive. :)) Then I understood why the people were so paranoiac as they revealed the story that some terrorists shot a dozen of innocent people in front of this back a few years ago. They say those were the hard times and it is safer now. But WTFFFFFFFFFF, shot peoplee???? OMGGGGGGGGG


After this shock, we found our nice but isolated hotel before the start of consumer immersion. There was almost nobody except us but at least, it was a clean / decent hotel in the Igbo State. :)
Enjoy photos from the consumer homes that we visited and really stroke me:
This is the garden of the house where they wash the clothes and spread... 
Our shy consumer and her home! we started in English and then she switched to Igbo.. I could not take many pictures as her elder sis was a bit nervous due to our presence at their place!


Sweet Always user teen who was staying with her aunt to go to school in Enugu and who sang Always check check song from the beginning till the end :))


Our competitor user, Moki (Always brand manager) and myself:


and the closing notes are from Steve Jobs: 

  • Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma – which is living with the results of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other’s opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become.Everything else is secondary
  • Stay hungry, stay foolish!
  • Sometimes life can hit you at the head with the brick, don't lose faith!
R.I.P. :(
http://www.ted.com/talks/steve_jobs_how_to_live_before_you_die.html

No comments:

Post a Comment